A New Year

Well into the second week of the New Year
and we still aren't back up to speed.
*Partly because of the Holiday, and 
the fact that the college kids had an extra week off.
*Partly because of some winter weather that
closed school for 2 days.
(which was a joke for us because 1. we didn't get much snow and
2. we homeschool!)
*Partly because of a yucky stomach bug that is working
its way around.
*Partly because I just hate to see the season pass.


We had lots of fun with everyone being home.
We enjoyed having friends over.
We totally got on a terrible schedule.

Last night, Jake (12 yrs old), actually couldn't
believe that we were resetting his bedtime
back to 9pm.  No more shutting it down at 11:30 for
the 6th grader!

We visited Sarah last weekend.
Honey went with us and we took them dinner.
Afterwards, we took Honey to see Sarah's classroom
and her apartment.
Then we all had to check out John's new 3D television.
It was AMAZING!!

Sarah and John are headed to St Thomas today for Katie's
(John's sister) wedding on Saturday.
Praying for safety as they travel.

I am seeking to be a student of God's word this year.
I want to know God more personally.
Not just know about Him, but really know Him.
I know that to really know someone you have to spend
time with them, talking, listening and doing life together.

A verse that I am currently memorizing and studying is:
Micah 6:8  
"He has shown you, O man, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly
and to love mercy
and
to walk humbly with your God."

I have heard this verse all of my life. But what does it really mean?
What does it look like to "walk humbly with my God"?
I don't have the answers to all of my questions.
But I know that my God wants to teach me these things.

It is my desire this year to be obedient and worship Him honestly
and sincerely.

Isa 29:13 is the verse that got me to reevaluate my worship.
The Lord says, "These people come near to me with their mouth
and honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
Their worship of me is made up only of rules
taught by men."

I feel like I grew up all around this type of worship. In fact, it IS constantly all around us.  But God is using the circumstances of my life to show me the beauty of true worship, the
brokenness of the world around us and the treasure of
a truly personal relationship with Him.





Comments

  1. Dana , I love your posts ! I am in the same place as you , being still and listening for God . His promises I want to have on my heart and I have to crank up this 52 year old brain to memorize scripture this upcoming year . God bless you and keep you and I will check in with you to see how things are going .In Christ , Suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so hard to go back to going to bed early after the holidays isn't it? my kids have been grumbling about that every night. :/ but, then no one wants to get up in the morning and that's not good for our school day. and so the vicious cycle goes. :)

    i didn't know they made 3D t.v.s - how cool! shows how behind the times i am. haha.

    like you, i desire to be a student of His Word. to know Him better, and.. i love how you put this, "doing life together." amen.

    blessings here in your new blog home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have a beautiful heart for God!

    I wish I was going to St. Thomas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment