vacation

We just spent a wonderful week at the beach.
I couldn't have asked for a more perfect week.
It wasn't just the weather or the location that was great...
it was the blessing of being together.

Alot of planning and organizing goes into taking a vacation 
with 12 people...especially when the whole goal is to rest, relax and enjoy!
Mark is a planner to the Max!  Always working off of a carefully planned list.  No detail left out.  What a blessing!
I am NOT a planner.  I plan only out of necessity. I think you miss out on a lot of fun when you ONLY follow a plan.

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man,
but it is purpose of the Lord that will stand."
Proverbs 19:21

So i guess we are a pretty good team!


Some how this trip became all about just enjoying each other's company and NOT so much about being on a schedule and stressing over rules.
It was so much fun!
What a great bunch of kids!

I did a lot of reading this week.  Usually I set out with a topic that I want to learn more about.  I try to find out what God wants to teach me about the topic I chose.  He has taught me some great things this way.  But lately my heart has been so unsettled about many things...issues with the kids, schooling, and lots of surprises in my own heart.  I didn't even know where to start.  So i didn't go with any kind of topic...just read lots and waited to see what God chose! (bright idea, huh...let God choose!)

The biggest thing He seemed to show me was how I constantly try to satisfy the longing in my heart with things other than Him.
These other "things" aren't bad, they just aren't what He created to fill my heart.  My heart so desires truth, contentment and a steadfast love. All of which can ONLY be found in Him.

Love this quote from A.W. Tozer...
"The simplicity which is found in Christ is rarely found among us.  In its stead are programs, methods, organizations and a world of nervous activities which occupy time and attention but can never satisfy the longing of the heart."

Boy are we surrounded by "a world of nervous activities"....mostly self generated.  We allow work to become king.  The pride of keeping up takes over.  Or just the search for an easy answer.
And in the mean time we miss out on so much.

It is hard to invest yourself in the lives of others but it is so much more fulfilling than living such a self-focused life. I try so hard not to be superficial with people.  I want you to know that you can trust what i say.  But lately I find myself being superficial with God...not spending genuine time with Him, not really wanting to hear what He says and trying to rationalize my struggles.  Thankfully He doesn't leave me alone!  He speaks to my heart through His word and the words of others.  It's my job to just slow down enough to listen!

2 Corinthians 12:9
"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefor I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ will rest on me."







Comments