Relationship...not Results

Time marches on
more candles on the birthday cake,
added years to the reunions,
less people around the dinner table.

While talking with Mark this weekend about our upcoming
class reunion and how "old" we are all getting,
i made the comment that "i don't even remember my 30's".
What happened to those years??
To which he reminded me that those were the child raising years.
(when i turned 30 i was pregnant with my 4th child)
Yes, those years were so full. and so much fun too!
But looking back, i feel like that time was mostly about results...
just getting from sun-up to sun-down with no major injuries.
Clothing everyone, feeding everyone, bathing everyone and
then doing it all over again the next day. and the next, and the next.

But now, all of a sudden, things have changed.
No more clothing, feeding and bathing.
Several of those sweet little ones have grown into fun, mature adults.
When i look around the table at Birthday celebrations, i see beautiful relationships happening.
I now see the importance of slowing down and building relationships.
Not just "hi, how are you?" relationships but REAL "i care about you" relationships.  I have had true "friends" that have walked down some hard roads with me, given words of encouragement and sometimes just a listening ear.  I think a REAL friend is someone with whom you can be completely honest.  No fears of judging or betrayal.  No feeling like they expect something from you or expect you to act/think a certain way.
I used to think that i couldn't be a good friend until I had more answers. How do you comfort a friend who is struggling with BIG questions, when you don't have any answers???  Well, that's just life.  We all struggle, we all have big questions and don't understand our own feelings sometimes.  But that's OKAY!  God knew that we would be like this.
If we had all of the answers then we wouldn't need Him!
And boy do I need Him!

"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know," says the Lord.  
Jer 33:3

"The mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace."
Romans 8:6

Even though, "when i want to do good, evil is right there with me" (Rom 7:21)  I also know that the Spirit is right there with me too.  Being that REAL friend who will walk with me.


We sure have been missing Anna....
She is away at overnight camp.
I just KNOW that she is the best counselor there.
I KNOW that she is teaching and loving those kids with a love
that comes straight from her relationship with the Father!
i love you Anna!



Comments